Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Wauchula Brown Rice - Not the Healthy Variety

I'm not saying that Wauchula Brown Rice is unhealthy. I'm just saying that it isn't the healthy variety that is so in vogue now with all the nutritionists and healthy eating guru's. I had never had this delicious rice pilaf  until moving to Hardee County in the early 1970's. It was at all the church dinners, family reunions, and the dish of choice for funerals. The first time that I tried it, I thought that it was the best thing since sliced bread. Now, my family has taken it as their own. We have it for Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Easter, as well as Sunday dinners and weeknight suppers. The ingredients are very simple- pantry staples. I believe that the 5 minute prep time as well as the simple ingredients have added to the popularity of this dish. During, the holidays, French Onion soup is almost impossible to find on the local grocery shelves. This Easter season, I made my trek to Winn Dixie to shop for ingredients for my recipes. Of course, as I journeyed down the soup aisle, the French Onion was completely sold out. I headed down to my daughter's later that day, and there was no shortage of French Onion soup. My point is, this recipe is a Wauchula favorite. I've even seen two ladies almost come to blows over the last can of French Onion soup.

Here is the recipe. Let us know if it is new to you or a staple in your community.

Brown Rice with Mushrooms

1/2 stick butter
1 can Campbell's Beef Consomme, undiluted
1 can Campbell's French Onion Soup, undiluted
1 can mushrooms, drained
1 cup white converted rice

Melt butter in casserole dish with Beef Consomme at 350 degrees
Stir in French Onion Soup, mushrooms, and rice when butter has melted
Cover and bake one hour.


 

1 comment: