Saturday, May 24, 2014

Crazy Berry Blue Pie- A Rediscovered Delight

When I was a young bride in the early 1970's, Eagle Brand desserts were the rage. This Crazy Berry Blue Pie was Walter's favorite. We lived out in the country on his aunt and uncle's farm in a little farmhouse. I commuted to college and Walter helped his Uncle Morris farm. We attended a little country church out from Vienna, Georgia. Each month they had dinner on the grounds. He talked me into taking this pie one Sunday. I was worried about it, because it had gelatin in the filling and I didn't want it to be runny. I remember very distinctly to this day, telling the ladies to keep it in the fridge, until the last minute. At dinnertime, my pie was cut and it was nothing but soup. I burst into tears. I was a lot sweeter back then, and very sensitive. This blueberry pie was never made again or mentioned in the 35 years that we were married. I just found the recipe in the back of my recipe box this week and decided that it needed to be included in the family favorites on the blog- even though no one in the family has ever even tasted it's yummy smoothness.
In the summertime, ice box, no bake pies are perfect as a cool refreshing dessert. This one does not disappoint. The ingredients are simple and should be found in your pantry and refrigerator.

I haven't made a homemade pie crust since Pillsbury came out with the fold out in the 1980's and now they have progressed to the roll outs. I do think that they are not as large as they used to be. I could barely get the crust to cover a 9 inch pie plate. I always dust the bottom of the pie crust with flour to help with cutting and removing from the pan. Don't forget to use a fork to prick the crust to prevent it from bubbling while baking unfilled. Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. It will taste like made from scratch. Everyone always thinks that I make my crust from scratch.

Crazy Berry Blue Pie- recipe from wrapper on 1970 can of Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk

1/4 cup cold water
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1 can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 cup sour cream
1 pound 5 oz can of blueberry pie filling (the pie filling now comes in a 12 ounce size - which is enough for the pie, but none left for a topping.

Place water and gelatin in a small saucepan. Place over direct heat and stir until dissolved and mixture is clear. Combine condensed milk and lemon juice.
I always use my little strainer and a fresh lemon when just a small amount of juice is needed.
Stir in gelatin mixture. Fold in sour cream. Mix in 1 1/4 cups of the blueberry pie filling (this is pretty much the entire can). Turn into crust. Refrigerate 2 to 3 hours. Garnish with remaining chilled  pie filled - buy an extra can if you want to do this. 
I told you that the crust seemed small. It shrunk quite a bit, but tastes divine. If I was a perfectionist, I would have started all over, but this blog is just for fun and my cooking skills are far from perfect. 
Yay! The gelatin set up and the pie is delicious.

3 comments:

  1. hello, this is a recipe that my sister made also in the 70's. it has been a well loved addition to many family gatherings. the one we enjoyed was slightly different. the crust used was a graham cracker crust. also, when adding the pie filling to the cream cheese filling, we reserved about one fourth of the can. it was put on top of the pie after the rest of it had been added to the filling. result ? when the pie was cut and served, the filling was a lovely almost lavendar color, with the contrast on top of the dark blue filling. much prettier presentation, in my opinion. otherwise, the taste is exactly the same. i am in fact going to a dinner party tomorrow, and i am making this delicious, beautiful pie for dessert. nice to see the recipe is still going strong after almost 50 years, lol.

    ReplyDelete