Thursday, May 22, 2014

Egg and Olive Salad

I took the day off from work today and had a "me" day at home. I watched the Food Network, read a little of Emily Griffin's new book, The One and Only, (love it) and made Egg and Olive Salad for lunch to enjoy on Arnold's Honey Wheat Sandwich Thins. My Egg Salad is very simple, but I am always surprised when  people ask me "How do you make your Egg Salad?"
First of all, we Bailey's like our boiled eggs coarsely chopped. No finely chopped eggs for us. We want a big bite of boiled egg coated in mayo with a little pickle and olive on the edges. Here is the recipe with a few measurements, if possible.

Hard boil 4 eggs- this should be enough for two or three hearty sandwiches. Coarsely chop eggs and place in medium bowl. Salt and pepper eggs. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of Duke's mayonnaise and 1 to 2 tablespoons of sweet salad cubes. I used to chop sweet gherkins for all of my southern salads, but accidentally discovered that Mt. Olive makes a jar of sweet salad cubes and does all of the work. Now, don't mistake the sweet relish for the salad cubes. It has an all together different flavor. Lastly, I coarsely chop 2 tablespoons of green pimiento stuffed olives and mix all 4 ingredients. I have been known to add pickle juice, but sometimes the salad gets a little "goopy", if you know what I mean. Generously sprinkle paprika on the finished product, just for a little color. 

Enjoy with your favorite "light' bread, crackers, or my favorite, Sandwich Thins - Lay's original potato chips on the side aren't a bad addition either. 

No comments:

Post a Comment