Monday, May 19, 2014

Cucumber Salad - Final Verdict

I have been craving that vinegar and sugar combination mixed with crisp fresh cucumbers, acidic tomatoes, and sweet Vidalia onions. After researching recipes and asking family and friends their favorite ingredients for this summer delicacy, I chose to prepare the Dilllard House recipe. Next I was on a quest for ingredients. I had grabbed up one of the first Vidalia onion 3 pound bags at the Winn Dixie. I was not disappointed in these crispy and sweet delicacies that can even be peeled without tears. Good tomatoes were out of the question, the produce stands had tomatoes no better looking than the grocery store. I settled on a package of sweet and tasty grape tomatoes, not my first choice, but very tasty and a little acidic. Being that I live in an area that was once the Cucumber Capital of Florida, I thought that this search would be easy. No such luck! I settled for slightly soft, but still tasty Florida cucumbers from the grocery store. I am very happy that our local grocery stores are carrying Florida produce and supporting our local economy.
After peeling and slicing the fresh ingredients, and a little tasting on the way, I was ready to make the dressing. Here is the recipe:

Cucumber, Tomato, and Onion Salad

3 to 4 cucumbers, peeled and sliced
1 container grape or cherry tomatoes- halves
2 Medium Vidalia Onions- peeled and thinly sliced
tablespoons fresh parsley
1 cup vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
freshly ground pepper - to taste

Place vegetable in large bowl - whisk vinegar, sugar, water, and pepper - pour over cucumber mixture- chill at least 4 hours- if you try to eat this without chilling, it will taste very bland. 
Call your friends over and enjoy.


I must have eaten at least three bowls at supper last night. All I had on my supper plate was a  parmesan encrusted baked chicken breast and bowl after bowl of cucumber salad.



   

No comments:

Post a Comment