Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Grandma Bailey's Pear Salad



I don't know how such an easy to make side dish that is particularly strange can hold so many happy memories for the Bailey family. Sunday dinner isn't complete if it is not served. It has to be made just right, and always with Miracle Whip, never mayonnaise. It is a "must" with roast beef, potatoes, and carrots. Mandy and Aunt Phyllis can even prepare a plate of pear salad.

Grandma Bailey's Pear Salad

Line a large platter with lettuce leaves-some people may even eat the leaves so wash carefully
Drain a large can of pear halves and arrange on lettuce.
Place about a tablespoon of Miracle Whip in the indented center of each pear.
Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese on the Miracle Whip.
Top each pear with a Maraschino Cherry.
Delectable and Delicious!!!

6 comments:

  1. I was just reading a novel where it referred to this salad. Thanks for the recipe! I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our family ate the same salad! It wasn't Sunday dinner without it! Every special occasion... every fried chicken dinner, or birthday, or Christmas it was on the table. Love it! I'm making my son a cookbook of family recipes - and this one will be in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any ideas as to the origins of this recipe. I grew up in Georgia, and was served this dish- often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon, they have a fantastic way of adding a dollop of mayo on just about everything in south Georgia - Pear Salad is a Sunday favorite of my family. I ate it quite frequently growing up also.

      Delete
    2. Jon, they have a fantastic way of adding a dollop of mayo on just about everything in south Georgia - Pear Salad is a Sunday favorite of my family. I ate it quite frequently growing up also.

      Delete