Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Down Home Lemonade

As a girl, my momma would always make lemonade when I had friends over in the summer. We would drink it from  jewel colored aluminum tumblers that would keep our drinks cold for hours.
I found these on ebay. I know that you probably remember them also. 
Sometimes, she would buy the frozen canned lemonade, but more often, she would make her fresh squeezed lemonade. She had a lemon/orange juicer that I also found on Amazon. I always was allowed to squeeze the lemons, but never cut them in half.
Down Home Lemonade
1/2 cup boiling water 
1 1/4 cup sugar
Combine sugar and boiling water. Stir until sugar is dissolved
4 1/2 cups cold water
1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice
Add lemon juice and cold water
Mix well.
Chill and serve over ice.
Momma would often add some maraschino juice to the pitcher and fill it full of cherries. 
We were some happy young'uns those summer days. It doesn't take much to make children happy. Make yours some Down Home Lemonade before they go back to school. 




No comments:

Post a Comment