Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Barbecue Sloppy Joes


It's back to school time and a favorite weeknight dinner around my house has always been Sloppy Joes. My adult friends and family love them as much as the kids. They are great to throw together before Friday night football games or after cheerleading practice. Tater Tots are the standard side dish along with an ear of fresh Silver Queen corn.

Years ago, I found the recipe for delicious Sloppy Joe's on the Kraft Barbecue Sauce bottle. My kids grew up with this version and now the Grandkids love it also. The recipe has plenty of onions and bell pepper, but I really brown them until they become quite tender and the kids don't seem to object. That pepper and onion flavor are a must with ground round, in my personal opinion.
I grabbed my wrinkled recipe on the bottle and made this recipe last night. I planned to follow it exactly. The Barbecue Sauce recipe must have changed in the last 40 years, because the amount of sauce on the instructions would have been too strong for our taste. 

Kraft Barbecue Sloppy Joes

1 pound ground round
1 cup chopped Vidalia onion
1/2 cup green bell peppers
1/2 cup red bell peppers
3/4 cup Kraft Original Barbecue Sauce


Salt and Pepper ground round.
Brown onion and peppers with meat until vegetables are tender and beef is no longer pink.
Stir in Barbecue Sauce and simmer 10 minutes.
Add cheese if desired.
Serve on soft buns.
Don't forget to provide forks and knives. This recipe is not really pick up style.  

1 comment: