Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Marguerite's Cheese Biscuits




When I was a girl, I always loved it when mama made cheese biscuits. I found her recipe tucked away in the back of an old cookbook and had fun preparing them this week. They were so good, I ate three for supper. I tweaked her recipe a little to make it a little more updated. Remember to use self rising flour!
2 cups self-rising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1/3 cup shortening
3/4 cup grated sharp Cheddar
1 cup buttermilk
Salt
1/4 stick butter, melted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, to taste, and sugar together using a fork; cut in shortening until it resembles cornmeal. Add cheese. Sir in buttermilk all at one time just until blended. Do not over stir.
Drop by tablespoonfuls, or use an ice cream scoop, onto a well-greased baking sheet. Brush dough with melted butter. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment