Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Perfect Iced Tea


I want to create a special food blog as a surprise for my family this year. It is not about gourmet recipes or new cooking ideas. As not to forget how to cook, I am preparing your favorite dishes that you grew up with and loved or didn't love sooo much. Some are Grandma's. I have done my best to adjust the ingredients to substitions that can be found in today's stores. Have fun and I hope that you will prepare many of the dishes that all have fond memories for me. Enjoy my silly stories.
I wanted to start with my first cooking experience after getting married in 1970. Walter loved his mom's sweet tea and it was a must that I master the skill immediately. I spent one whole day in the kitchen at Garden Springs Trailer Park in Athen, Ga brewing tea. I threw out about 10 pitchers and finally came up with a somewhat drinkable version. Last night was the first time that I have ever measured ingredients. Here is the recipe for Bailey's usually pretty tasty sweet tea.

Bring 2 1/2 cups water to a boil in a small pot.
When the water comes to a full boil. remove from heat-add 7 regular sized tea bags. cover pot with lid. Let steep for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile fill 2 quart pitcher with 7/8 cup sugar. One cup is too sweet-3/4 cup is not quite sweet enough- Use just under one cup.
Pour tea from pot into pitcher-do not mash tea bags as it will cause a bitter taste-or so my mother said.
Add 7 cups cold water to pitcher stir and fill tall glass with ice and lemon
Yummy and refreshing!

No comments:

Post a Comment