Friday, January 2, 2015

Creamy Macaroni and Cheese

While I was down in South Florida during Christmas Vacation I kept the grandkids overnight while their mom and dad went to several Christmas parties in Miami. We had a great time. We played games, practiced writing numbers, and watched the Wizard of Oz on TNT. I knew this was my time to slip in some real Southern cooking for those little ones. I wanted to try to fix my mother's baked macaroni and cheese. Her's was always gooey and creamy with tons of cheese, yet not baked hard like so many recipes that I have tried. I wanted to spoon it out of the bowl, not cut it in a square. This is the version that I prepared and they loved it - mom and dad did too!

Layered Macaroni and Cheese

16 ounces elbow macaroni
4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese - divided
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray.

Cook macaroni in salted water - remember to season as you assemble

Layer 1/3 of the macaroni in baking dish. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups grated cheese. Please grate your cheese. The quality and taste are so much better than the pre shredded packages. Repeat layers; top with remaining macaroni. Reserve remaining one cup cheese.

In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper until blended. Pour over macaroni.

Cover and bake 45 minutes or until heated thoroughly. Uncover and sprinkle the remaining cheese. Cover and let stand 10 minutes before serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment