Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Scotchy Fudge For the Holidays


I have been making this super easy stovetop fudge since 1970. My first Christmas as a new bride was in Vienna, Georgia. My husband and I lived on his Uncle's farm in a little house known to all of the neighbors as the Perkle place. I have no idea who the Perkle's were, but I loved that little house. We closed off one of the front bedrooms and the living room and lived in the family room/kitchen combination. Our little fresh cut pine tree decorated one corner of the room. I was still learning how to cook, and my mother sent me this recipe. She had been making the easy fudge for years and knew that I could possible succeed with these very simple ingredients and instructions.
Scotchy Fudge

1 can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Line an 8 X 8 inch square pan with aluminum foil or wax paper that has been lightly sprayed with Pam.
Melt chocolate and butterscotch chips in condensed milk over hot, not boiling water, in a double boiler.
Stir until all chips are melted.
Remove pan from heat and let slightly cool.
Stir in vanilla and chopped nuts- if desired
Refrigerate until firm enough to cut into squares - several hours or overnight
Store in refrigerator.

At Thanksgiving, my daughter and I made several different batches. Some with and some without nuts. As the old saying goes, "Sometimes you feel like a nut, and sometimes you don't". 
Package this fudge in cute little boxes to share with all of your neighbors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment