Monday, November 17, 2014

1960's French Onion Soup and the Clewiston Inn


When I was growing up in South Florida, Clewiston, to be exact, my daddy would often have trips and business dinners on weeknight evenings. Momma and I would often eat at the Clewiston Inn. Two items stand out in my mind after all of these years. I remember dining on deliciously salty French Onion Soup with a melted cheese toast in the bowl. My other favorite was a strawberry cream dessert. It consisted of whipping cream, fresh strawberries, and probably cream cheese and confectioner's sugar. It was served in a square with a dollop of whipped cream. My mother was an excellent cook and decided that she would prepare the French Onion soup at home. I don't know where she came up with the recipe, but I remember her version was even tastier than at the Inn. Of course, I found it hand written in the back of one of her cookbooks.

French Onion Soup

4 large onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup butter or margarine
3 10 1/2 ounce cans beef broth
1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
Dash Pepper
Loaf of French Bread, cut into slices
Grated Fresh Parmesan Cheese

Cook onion in butter till lightly browned, about 20 minutes
Add broth and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to boiling. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
Simmer about 20 minutes. 
Sprinkle bread slices with cheese; place under broiler until cheese is melted and lightly browned
Pour soup in bowls and place toast slice on top.

3 comments: