Sunday, July 13, 2014

Southwest Chicken with Corn Salsa

Why on earth is this South Georgia girl posting a Mexican chicken dish on her Southern cooking blog? I had never even had a taco until I was married with children and busy teaching school. One school year, I was introduced to my new teacher's aide (as paraprofessionals were called in those days). She was one of  the most delightful ladies that I had ever met. Ms Victoria Flores was as wide as she was tall, loved the children, and was a great help in the classroom. We had to be at school around 7:30 am, if we weren't on early morning duty. Victoria would get up early in the morning and fry delicious bunuelos- those delicately fried Mexican treats rolled in cinnamon sugar. To say the least, our classroom was a popular hangout before school on those days.  She was only supposed to be with my kindergarten class for the first two weeks of school, while the children were learning to walk in straight lines and safely load the afternoon bus. Two years later, she was still with me. No one else had a permanent aide- we never asked any questions - just had a great time working together!! She introduced me to all types of Mexican food. We had to trick my husband, whose South Georgia momma had kept him on a very strict Southern diet - Fried Chicken, Okra, Homemade pies from scratch, Roast Beef every Sunday, and the like. Victoria gave me a version of this Chicken recipe to try on him and of course, it was a hit. Miss Victoria did everything from scratch, but I have revised the original recipe through the years. I just don't have time to make homemade salsa.

Southwest Chicken With Corn Salsa

4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts- thin cut
 1 package taco seasoning mix - I like El Paso
2 tablespoons oil
1 medium zucchini
1 medium onion diced - I only use Vidalias - if available
1/2 medium green pepper diced
1 can Tender Crisp corn or frozen bag of corn -12 ounces
1 1/2 cup salsa - as hot as you desire - I'm not very daring and always get mild
2 cups cooked rice

Salt and Pepper Chicken and coat with Taco Seasoning
Heat oil in nonstick skillet and cook chicken around 10 minutes until golden and cooked through
Remove chicken from skillet and keep warm
Saute zucchini, onions, and peppers until tender- Cook corn if using frozen-
Salt and pepper as you go!!
Add  corn and salsa to skillet and heat thoroughly.
Serve over the chicken and hot, cooked rice - I have no objections to Minute Rice for this recipe - or the precooked bags- especially on a busy work day

This recipe takes about 20 minutes and is on the table. It is a good week night dish that the children will eat and enjoy.





No comments:

Post a Comment